If you've ever tried on a traditional CPAP mask, you know that they do not fit naturally and are often uncomfortable right away. This discomfort leads to many different issues when it comes to providing the therapy you need. Here are the five most common complaints with traditional CPAP masks:
- They leak. Plastic, rubber and silicon are the most frequently used materials in traditional masks. These materials are hard which means they will never fit your face perfectly. A poor fit leads to leaks which is uncomfortable and doesn't give you the therapy air you need.
- They're tight. In order to get the seal needed to provide the correct level of therapy air, headgear often has to be tightened. This tightness can cause sores along any pressure points where the mask meets your face.
- They're rigid. The hardness of the mask and the tightness of the headgear combine to make a stiff-feeling structure. This restricts movement of the head and limits the positions PAP users can sleep in.
- They cause skin irritation. Ultimately, skin irritation is the source of most complaints surrounding CPAP masks. The most common irritants come from allergies, moisture, and pressure:
- For PAP users with allergies to silicon, latex and other plastics, finding a mask that doesn't cause a reaction while sleeping is challenging.
- Plastic masks hold moisture from the skin and the CPAP humidifier against your face which can make you feel like your face is sweating in the middle of the night.
- Apart from hard materials and tight straps, traditional masks are heavy. The heavier the mask, the more likely you are to wake up with facial sores.
- They're noisy. Poorly designed masks can make "whistling" sounds when the CPAP machine is on. Some masks make a "creaking" noise when users roll over or shift positions. Leaks can also be a source of increased noise in the mask area.
If you or a loved one has any of these complaints then it is time to try something new! Many people don't know that plastic isn't the only solution available. Our line of Skin Friendly™ CPAP masks are made of cloth that reduces air leakage, headgear pressure, limited sleep positions, skin irritation, and noise. Try SleepWeaver® today!