Following the 10 commandments of sleep can help you achieve a healthier night's sleep!
In honor of World Sleep day on March 18, we have been posting 1 of the commandments each day leading up the World Sleep Day. Below is the full list of the 10 Commandments of Healthy Sleep.
10 Commandments of Healthy Sleep
- Fix regular times for going to bed and for getting up.
- If you nap during the day, don't allow yourself more than 45 minutes of sleeping time.
- Stop consuming alcoholic beverages four hours before bedtime and don't smoke at all.
- Avoid caffeine beginning six hours before bedtime. This includes not only coffee and tea, but many soft drinks and chocolate as well.
- Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods starting four hours before bedtime. A light snack just before retiring is okay.
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
- Use comfortable bedding.
- Find a comfortable temperature setting for your bedroom, and keep the room well ventilated.
- Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
- Reserve your bed for sleep. It is not an office, a workroom, a movie theater, or TV viewing venue.
We would love to hear some of your personal sleep commandments.
Please leave them in the comments below!